Work in Thailand - Get Paid to be a Movie Extra / TV Show Extra

If you’re looking to spend some time travelling around Thailand, and Asia, and hoping to make some cash as you go, you may find that due to some fairly strict employment laws, that finding ‘legit’ opportunities (other than teaching English obviously) to earn a little extra money as you travel, are few and far between. However, said opportunities do indeed exist, for those who dig deep enough, and keep their eyes open. Which is how I came to be an extra in the big screen spin-off of the popular German television show ‘'Türkisch für Anfänger' (Turkish For Beginners).

Filmed in Koh Chang, I had my five minutes (or considerably less as it turned out) of fame, playing an extra in a hotel scene. At theTropicana Resort, Klong Prao. And it's fair to say that, despite the paradise-like setting. Being a ‘movie star’ (sort of) was a lot less glamorous than I’d been expecting. And (for my part at least) involved mainly just waiting around. A handful of takes, during which the camera skimmed past paying little attention to my own (well hidden) acting talents. And then it was all over (for me anyway). So that while it was (sort of) fun, in its own way. The main benefit to me, and the reason I originally signed up for the deal, was that I got paid.
Work in Thailand - How Much Can I Get Paid

While like most things in life, this will vary, depending upon the scale of the operation, and other variables. I was paid 2000 baht (plus two meals thrown in for free). Which I’m told (at the time of writing) is about industry standard. And considerably more than Thai’s are paid (around 800 baht). Which while not a huge amount, isn’t a bad little haul considering the unique nature of the work, and is enough extra cash to extend the travels of a thrifty traveller by a week or so (and possibly more if you’re really thrifty).

How to Find Work as a Movie Extra in Thailand.

The best way is to keep your eyes, and ears open. The Bangkok Post is frequently used by movie/television companies to scout for extras. Online Thai message boards and forums, are another great place to check for work. Thai Modelling agencies can be approached if you’re a little more serious about picking up regularwork in front of the camera in Thailand. And it’s not unheard of, for ‘farang’ to be approached on the streets, in the more tourist-heavy areas of Bangkok, and beyond.

And who knows, just maybe, you’ll have better luck than I. And find that your position as an insignificant extra, becomes something more. Elevating you from unknown Farang tourist, just passing through, into a legend, of Thai cinema.

No comments:

Post a Comment