Thai Bar Girls and Love Stories - "Don't Forget Me!"

She reached over and wrote it without trying to draw attention to her act, and in the notepad that for the past few weeks I'd spent my time drawing offensive cartoon mockerys of their most beloved deity, Buddha, she wrote 'don't forget me!'
And I didn't understand at first, and I probably don't still. But given the situation it seemed like a strange thing to write. And by her writing it alone it elevated our shared experience into something more than what it was, to more than a seedy exchange in a dirty Bangkok hotel where smiles and hearts can be deceiving and bought for a price.
And I read it several times over right there and then, trying to absorb its true meaning, because through this simple act on her part, and the simple request she'd made in writng, we'd both been set in stone as characters in some long drawn out drama, a romance of sorts, lovers forced apart by the untamed violences of feuds and wars and all that is harsh enough in this world to act as a barrier between birds of a feather. But of course, it wasn't like that at all.
And then through the power of Google I noticed that I wasn't alone, and that others were seeking, pondering, questioning the purpose of this simple request asked by Thai girls of their Falang clients, 'Don't forget me!", and as on guard as you may be to the beautiful charms of Thailand's wiliest daughters you find yourself disarmed by such sentiments. And suddenly you feel the responsibility that comes with any physical connection washing back over you, set free from the compartment in which you'd sealed it tightly away, when convincing yourself prior that this was nothing more than a financial transaction, and a business deal from which both would benefit.
But of course, nothing but nothing is ever that easy.
"Don't forget me!"
Is it a ploy, a plot, a calculated campaign designed to trap, ensnare, and bleed dry the idiot unlucky enough or foolish enough to get caught up in her web of lies like so many men before him? Or could it be something more?
The average Thai bar girl is more than aware that faking love can be far more profitable (in the long run) than faking orgasms could ever be. And as such is more than capable of playing the kind of games necessary to make a man lose his head, heart, and ultimately his money.
But nobody made of flesh is also made of stone. 

So while many long-term visitors to Thailand's shores would advise you that ‘real love' is not a commodity sold in the land of smiles, even the most jaded of them must have at some point seen the woman hiding behind the emotional shields of her profession, to the girl who only ever wanted to be just somebody’s princess. To be loved and love back. The woman who just for once, and just for a moment, after sharing her body with yet another foreign stranger, wished that she was not so quickly disposed of, and was not so quickly forgotten.
* A tribute to 'Panida Poomsaeng', a woman I promised to never forget.

10 comments:

  1. What a fantastic post. I've read some of your other thai bar girls hub with great interest as well. Please keep them coming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "To be loved, and love back." and not forgotten. Beautiful tribute Mr V. I suppose its not always easy to remember, but its nice to know there are people who do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now you've made me cry. I always wanted to be somebody's princess as well. Makes you want to crash in and rescue them, I know that is what it makes me want to do, and I prefer men... Perhaps they have a price to pay and the only way to pay it is to play on the hearts of others; or perhaps they are hoping for a knight to slay their dragons for them. I had to learn to slay my own dragons... maybe they need help slaying theirs. Or maybe, as you say, they just want to be remembered...

    ReplyDelete
  4. A great hub...loved it. It is a strange world which I continue to wrestle with.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all for your comments and for reading. I can't add much now as I am very drunk and need to pass out. But I did win 4-0 at pool, so am quite happy with myself, and will now sleep soundly. ;)

    Anyways, back to the point, it seems to me that with this article in place, that for as long as the internet remains, Panida (and all of the girls who work Thailands bars) will never be forgotten. Thus fulfilling my obligation.

    Best wishes to all of us, Thai bar girls, blog authors, and random visitors alike.

    Sweet dreams. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is one of the most enjoyable posts I've read in a while. I've been the recipient of similar such notes on more than a few occasions. It's always a pleasure regardless of whatever underlying motive. By the way, who's the girl in the picture and where can I meet her?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks 4hourmike, I'm glad you enjoyed it. I'm not sure who the girl in the picture is though, but best of luck in tracking her down. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm sure my 19-year-old Thai wife, Yum-Yum, would not agree with your suspicions. Indeed, she was especially enthusiastic in showing her gratitude for the platinum credit card with which I recently entrusted her. (Lord Gaga, age 73, Crapping Hall, England).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice hub Mrvoodoo. With a very human and hearty touch. Let us hope touches to such girls become human and hearty rather than physical.

    ReplyDelete
  10. hey pattaya is lies 147 km soutren of bangkok and every think there which you want and after sun set pattaya city becam an a new city in the world due its bright lights disco clubs. and many many traffic in the wolking street till beach road ...

    ReplyDelete