My Life as an International Drug Smuggler - Drug Smuggling in Thailand

Drug Smuggling in Asia
Drug Smuggling in Asia
Ok, so maybe that was a little too dramatic a title, I don’t drive around in fast sports cars snorting coke of the dashboard whilst getting head from beautiful women, I don’t have my own personal army with which to execute my enemies or traitors, in fact I haven’t even fulfilled the most basic requirements of an international drug smuggler, i.e. hiding a condom full of smack up my bottom.
But I have smuggled drugs, internationally, so I stand by my title. Before hand I gave it very little thought, having been to Thailand before I knew that the flight I was going to board later in the day was a long one, add to that the hours spent on a coach to the airport at this end, and the bus to a hotel at the other end in Thailand, plus hours spent hanging around in airports going through all the procedures at both ends and I knew that when I finally made it to a hotel in Thailand I’d be in no mood to go out exploring, not until I’d recharged my batteries, no, all that I’d want once I’d closed my hotel door would be a cheeky little smoke, and then bed.
I barely gave it a second thought, I hollowed out a stick of hair wax, placed in a small bag of weed, and then carefully refilled the wax stick smoothing it all down and remoulding it back into shape. And that was that, I left for the airport, caught my coach, boarded my plane, flew to the other end of the world, un-boarded, bus, hotel, cheeky smoke, and then sleep.
And it was a nice smoke, I enjoyed it, and then I spent the next four weeks having a great time, with a few more cheeky smokes here and there, and then I flew back home, without event. Probably the most eventless international drug smuggling story ever told, certainly few people are going to be queuing up to buy the movie rights.
But it could have turned out so differently. It was several weeks later whilst chatting to a good friend and boasting about my newly acquired status as an international drug smuggler, and a successful one at that, that the reality began to dawn on me of exactly what I had done, “Are you a twat?” my friend more told than asked me, “do you know what happens to drug smugglers in these places!” I hadn’t given it a lot of thought, I knew you weren’t supposed to do it but I hadn’t really taken into consideration the fact that what had seemed to me like a very minor offence, after all it was only a cheeky little smoke, might have seemed a whole bigger deal to the Thai authorities.
When I was younger I got caught by the police red-handed with cannabis at home in England, and received nothing more than a telling off and the confiscation of my drugs. But things can be very different elsewhere in the world, get caught even in possession of drugs let alone smuggling them into their country and you can kiss goodbye to 10-25 years of your life, or to your life full-stop.
Prison sentences in places like Thailand and Brazil are long and hard, and many never make it through them. Should you get arrested then do not expect to reap the benefits of the comparative luxury associated with life behind bars in England, prisons in these places have nothing to do with bettering their inmates, nothing to do with redemption, they do not expect or want you to come out a better person, you are there to be punished, and nothing more.

Bang Kwang Prison

Bang Kwang prison is a prison for men in Nonthaburi Province, Thailand, located about 7 miles north of Bangkok by the Chao PhrayaRiver. Bang Kwang prison is home to numerous foreign prisoners, some for drug smuggling, the Thai people know Bang Kwang prison as the ’Big Tiger’ because it eats people up.
Home to many death row and long-sentence prisoners Bang Kwang prisoners are forced to wear leg-irons for their first three months there, whilst death row prisoners have leg irons welded on.
In 2005 a Mr ‘Scott Hurford’ was caught crossing the border between Cambodia and Thailand, in his pocket he carried 250 amphetamine pills worth a total of about £130, Scott Hurford was sentenced to death. However after later pleading guilty to the crime his sentence was reduced from death to thirty years in Bang Kwang prison.
Brian Mounsey, a former prisoner in Bang Kwang Prison describes the conditions in the dormitories of this prison: "23 of us shoulder to shoulder, toe to toe, sleeping on a concrete floor in a cell, the size of a modest living room in a council house. Not very healthy. If one gets a cold or scabies (both permanent conditions) all or most get it, unavoidable when you're so full and packed in."
Bang Kwang prison is also known as the ‘Bangkok Hilton’ and is thought to be one of the ten toughest prisons in the world to exist within, it’s overcrowded, understaffed, and full to the brim with inmates barely clinging to their sanity. In the words of the ‘Khun Nattee’ the Thai Director of prisons “Thai prisons are tough, you don’t want to be in Bang Kwang!” and should you find yourself sentenced to death row you may receive as little as two hours notice before being put to death by lethal injection.
So was my cheeky little smoke, and my brief prestige as an international drug smuggler worth this risk, no.

20 comments:

  1. You were down right lucky bro, getting caught over there, as you rughtly wrote is hell. Not that I know, but I'v seen on discovery channel. You should go down on your knees and ask not to be tempted like that again... I hope you quit smoking too...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah it really wasn't a very clever thing to have done, no matter how small. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't last more than a few days in somewhere like Bang Kwang.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now why would you smuggle weed into Thailand when good stuff is so freely available there? that's what blows my mind and thinks you're a twit?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep I know, but I didn't want to have to go out on a mission to score some, lol

    He thought I was a 'Twat' and rightly so, but like you say in future if I fancied some I'd be patient and go get some down walking street. :) or try to be strong and resist (not much chance of that!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Or hop across the border to Laos, go to Vang Vieng and lie on the couches watching Friends all day while motorbikes stop next to your couch all day long selling you weed

    ReplyDelete
  6. lol, now that sounds like heaven, just need to get my adsense up to a couple of hundred a day, then i'll be gone, vanished, forever!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Laos is way cooler than Thailand, just doesn't have the beaches or any beaches though

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice story and it makes the point. In spite of the travellers tales it is illegal everywhere in Asia and prison conditions in some places make Bang Kwang really resemble the Hilton.

    Some areas more relaxed in their interpretation of the law or officials getting kickbacks down the line. Wherever, you really have to know who you are buying from.

    Glad you got out in one piece.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Peter Dickinson: Thanks, and I hadn't even considered the places that are worse than Bang Kwang, and like you say, I'm sure there are places in Asia and elsewhere that would make Bang Kwang seem like heaven in comparison.

    I know the police are very corrupt in many of these places, after all how else could all those thousands of go-go bars function in a country where prostitution is illegal. And I have heard stories of police selling to tourists undercover and then busting them in order to extract a large bribe from them.

    Thanks again, I'm glad too, I wouldn't have lasted long in somewhere like that, I'd have ended up somebody's bitch within days.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi MrV,

    Have you seen the second Bridget Jones film, 'The Edge of Reason'? There's a really funny bit in it where she gets banged up for a drug smuggling crime that she didn't actually commit. She's slung in with a whole load of Thai girls who take it in turns to wear her bra over their clothes for some reason. Doesn't sound funny? No, maybe you have to actually see it yourself! Anyway, that apart, you were very lucky to escape the attention of the authorities.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Amanda,

    I don't think I have seen it, pretty sure I saw the first one, but not the second. I'm guessing that Bridgets bra was fairly ill-fitting on the Thai girls, sounds funny, maybe I'll check it out some time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. If you are local and get ahead in small business in Thailand you will get checked for weed on a regular basis as you have money to pay bribes. It really sucks, but the cops do not get enough pay to be honest!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Earnest,

    Yeah from what I've heard the cops are pretty corrupt in Thailand, prostitution is illegal in Thailand right? (hard to believe it) Shame that they check you more if they get to know you're local, maybe dressing like a tourist every day in sandals, cut-offs, t-shirt, baseball cap, and carrying a camera would help. But like you say they probably don't get paid enough, and neither do a lot of other folks in Thailand.

    I'd love to live in Thailand, that's pretty much why I'm trying the whole Adsense thing, if I can get a steady decent daily income from it I'll be off (I can dream) lol, although perhaps the reality of living in Thailand is not as good as the fantasy. Do you live in Thailand?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I never been to thailand but I'm sure like any place, just get in the right taxi and you're bound to score. I wouldn't take the risk. I saw midnight express.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yep, it is actually pretty easy to get there, or at least in certain areas it's easy. Just got to keep your ears open, and like at music festivals in England you'll hear the whispers of 'speed, crack, weed' from people as you walk by. Not that I encourage such things, just say 'No' kids, drugs are bad. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. yes banh kwang is terrible even to visit inmates it took me one hour to get in to visit an inmate from englang and once i got in it took them twenty minuites to bring him from his cell to see me an talk to me through telefones an being 5 metres apart contact is a no go but my friend who is serving many years in the monkey house just laughed an said shit happens an welcome to my world and he said to me never ever smuggle drugs in thailand...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, the video doesn't work! (not that I need to see it, but just letting you know.)

    Interesting about the smuggling. I had a friend who worked overseas, and you had to report the money you brought back, so he took a Brut stick deodorant rolled it all the way out, rolled up the money inside. Then he rolled it in as far as it would go, cut it off and used it a couple of times. He did this twice, a long time ago, because he had baby's at home. He said it didn't occur to him he shouldn't do it BECAUSE he had baby's at home. If he had gotten caught the penalty would be worse than the duty, plus he would have lost his job. Not as glamorous as drugs, but... See you later.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for sharing Faybe, I was probably very naive at this point, and believed I was free to do as I chose the world over. I'd almost definitely not risk it again now. ;)

    And thanks for pointing out the vid, I'll try to find something suitable to replace it.

    Many thanks. =)

    ReplyDelete
  19. A good friend of mine did just short of a year in the Bangkok Hilton. He tells me now that it is not uncommon for him to crap his pants spontaneously from sudden panic attacks. I would say your decision was more than just naive and poor thinking, it was downright stupidity. But I guess you know that, and you are lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'll stick my hands up to stupidity. ;)

    Never again.

    ReplyDelete